Monday, October 1, 2012

The Step Brother speaks

It has come to my attention that my obnoxious, egotistical and delusional brother, Andurula has been filling Internets with more useless fluff and talking about me, his older brother Bjedde, in some less than flattering tones. I am writing to set the record straight.

First of all.  I DO get out of Bree occasionally.  For proof see a picture of me taken in front of the (easily recognizable) gates of Trestlebridge.



Yes, in fact, I do occasionaly get out of Bree.  I spend a fair amount of time sniffing around for treasure in the barrows actually.  I just prefer Bree and its activities more than Andurula does.  Andu won't admit he needs fashion help but I hold the keys to his wardrobe and without me he would be running around in his underwear.  No one wants to see that.

Yes, I have tried the bagpipes.  I haven't decided if I am going to continue with my training or not yet.  It all started when I ran into a collection of sheet music organized by Beobrand.  You can blame him for that. 

Andurula is my brother even if Andu keeps insisting we are only half brothers.  I am considerably older than Andu and was born in the Dalelands where the family was in the horse raising business.  That business came to an end 50 odd years ago when some meddling dwarves woke up Smaug and the family farm was part of the collateral damage.  With scorched lands. the breeding stock cooked, marching armies in our backyard and the possibility that Smaug was not alone my mother made the decision to head west into new territory.  When you are running from dragons you have to go a long ways. That is how the family came to Breelands.

Now Andu is very proud of the the family name 'Rochir' which means 'horse lord' in Sindarin.  What he overlooks is the fact that he is not an elf and he doesn't speak Sindarin.  Our family has been in the horse business for as long as anyone can tell and it is possible that at some point the family had business with elves.  Now I will say we did have some great breeding stock and our horses were known far and wide before Smaug changed everything.  It is my belief that at some point, elves heard of our horses and came looking for us.  I believe in their inquiries they used the  term 'Rochir' or horse lord to identify the guy that had the horses.  Knowing the hautiness of the elven folk it is even likely that the term was used in sarcasm.  Who knows.  I do know that no one in our family has ever been referred to as a lord.  Perhaps a more likely story is that during my mother's trip west to Eriador and Breeland they elicitied help from the elves.  Had they taken a look at the face of the swaddling Andurula they could have remarked that judging by his nose his father must have been a horse and spoke the 'horse lord' title at that point.  My mother never told and we will never know.

The tradition of raising horses continues in our family and the few (uncooked) breeding mares we possessed after Smaug's desolation traveled with us from Dale to Bree and form part of the lineage of the superior Bree horses seen around today. 

Here is another picture of me in my working outfit exercising one of the new colts.  If the horse looks familiar then you have probably seen some of our family's  equine heritage.


I hope this sets the record straight.  If you see me around Bree feel free to give me a wave.  If you have messages for Andu I can usually find him or get a hold of him.  If Andu is dressed in something other than armor you can thank me for that.  Except for when he wears the yellow dress.  I take no responsibility for that.

One last thing that I wanted to share.  I recently discovered a blog post from the LOTRO Stylist which I think is a godsend for us non combative, non level seeking inhabitants. How to Look Stylish at any level . In this post you will find everything that is available without lifing a sword, dagger, or staff.  Its my new favorite website!  Really well done.

Bjedde (Rochir)

No comments:

Post a Comment